I graduated from Barbizon modeling school at 14 years old BUT yes, I dropped out of cosmetology school at 18 years old-only after 6 months. I had what I thought at 18 years old was a good reason…I was embarrassed. If I did it over again I would have just bit the bullet and went back. Well, what happened was I went with four of my friends from cosmetology school one day to Seaside Heights in New Jersey. We were off to the beach for a day of fun in the sun. We were all on the beach for less than 15 minutes when I found myself wanting to bury myself in the sandy beach and hide forever. We all went to take our shirts and shorts off, when I noticed I was the only one wearing a bikini. I had a really awesome red and black bikini which my boyfriend at the time told me looked awesome on me. I wore it that day but when my friends took all their clothes off well…I was the only one in a two-piece and they all were sporting one piece bathing suits. This was not the embarrassing aspect. We sat there and suddenly three or four boys we’ll call them walked by and we all heard one of them say “Look at the fat one-of course, she is the one wearing the bikini!”. I was mortified. Needless to say, I was only 140 pounds and did not look fat at all. Plus, I always looked 20 pounds lighter than I was, as I was a bit taller than some. All my friends heard them and I guess they too were now embarrassed because we all picked up our things, went back to the car to a parking ticket and left back for New York.
After all that I didn’t want to go back to cosmetology school. My friends did all call me and try to get me to come back but I just was too out of sorts by the whole situation down at the beach in New Jersey. Yeah, it was kid stuff but back then it was a big deal to me. SO, with that being said here are some of my so-called beauty tips for you!!
1. The most important one for both men and women. After 40 years old for many women your hair may seem to be thinning or breaking off more. You may find you have split ends or it’s just doesn’t have as much volume as you thought. Well, there is a dietary supplement that my Doctor actually recommended to me. It’s called Biotin and you can get it at Rite Aid, CVS, Walmart, Target, Kmart or any type of other pharmacy or department store. You can take the highest milligrams once daily but I take 2500mg which seems to do the trick in strengthening my hair. It will not most likely regrow it but will help with losing it and will repair it. I have thinning hair due to age and bleaching the crap out of it. It tends to break off if I don’t take this daily. But this is a great dietary supplement for hair and problems with it at any age-not just over 40.
Listed Information on Biotin:
- Biotin is an important B Vitamin
- Helps to support healthy hair and skin
- Essential for the intermediate metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins and fats
Dietary Supplement. Vegetarian formula. Found in foods such as oatmeal and soy, Biotin, a water soluble B Vitamin, assists in energy metabolism in cells. Biotin helps to support healthy skin and hair.
2. Colgate’s Octagon (Laundry) Soap for acne and smoother skin at any age. Okay, this is an old remedy of my husband’s mother. And yes, after 40 I still have some acne but with gentle wrinkles started to appear. It may even help them, as well. Either way this is a great product. My husband’s late mother had all his siblings (all 9 of them) use this for acne and none of them ever had acne. This product now comes in a soap size bar but when you get it you may be wondering about it-as it is for taking stains out of laundry. I got it and said I’m going to put laundry detergent on my face-say what? But it does work. It’s dark green and may look scary to you but give this to your kids as well for them for acne. They need to use it at least twice a day along with yourself. You can only buy this through Amazon and eBay now I’m thinking. I don’t think it’s carried anymore in regular stores. But a great must-have product. Plus, you can always through some in your load of clothes for optimal cleanliness with no stains.
Information from site on Octagon Soap:
- best all purpose soap
- hand soap
- acne remedy
Colgate’s Octagon Soap is an old-fashioned soap that is a versatile, economical choice for tackling an array of household tasks. A single bar of simply packaged, long-lasting Octagon Soap can perform several tasks so you don’t have to worry about buying multiple targeted products. Octagon was originally marketed as laundry soap (in the pre-washing machine era) but here’s some other household uses that I’ve wrangled up from around the web: Dish soap * Hand soap * Clothing stain remover * Acne remedy * Bug bite/poison oak and ivy remedy * Grease remover Household Uses: Cabinet/woodwork cleaner * Stove cleaner * Bathtub/tile cleaner * Tick repellent
3. A daily wash for men and women’s face-a good choice is Noxzema. Noxzema has been around since I was a teenager. You can wash twice daily with Noxzema and it helps with oily skin. It’s great for those with acne. The best way to use this is to use a wash cloth and hot steaming water on it. You press this washcloth over the Noxzema you have heavily put on your face. Leave the washcloth on there for a minute or two then wash it all off. Your face will feel exceptionally clean and have a shine to it. This is also an old-remedy of someone I use to know. Everyone’s mother seems to have an old-remedy these days:)
Listed Information on Noxzema:
- Cleans deeply to remove dirt, oil, and makeup
- Leaves skin soft and moisturized without over drying
- Tested by dermatologists
- Enriched with soothing eucalyptus oil
- Use on wet or dry skin
Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream gives you clean, smooth skin with the Noxzema classic tingle in an easy to use pump. This cream works deeply, removing oil, dirt, and makeup to leave your skin soft without over drying.
Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream reaches deep into pores to remove dirt, oil, and makeup, leaving your skin soft and smooth without over drying. Dermatologist tested, the Deep Cleansing Cream refreshes with the classic Noxzema tingle. Cooling Eucalyptus and Moisturizing Ingredients Made with eucalyptus oil and soothing linseed and soybean oils, Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream removes dirt and oils as it moisturizes.
The Original Deep Cleansing Cream can be used on a wet or dry face. Apply generously, and then use your fingertips or a wet washcloth to massage the cream into your skin using a circular motion. Rinse thoroughly, avoiding contact with your eyes. In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with water.
4. Under eye circles aka dark circles can be very stressful to many. I have yet to find something to totally get rid of them BUT to hide them with a slight lightening of them I have found a product I use daily. It’s Maybelline make-up and it’s called Instant Acne REWIND Eraser for dark circles. It is also for acne. You can use this product under your eyes to hide dark circles along with any blemishes or imperfections you may have. So, it kills two birds with one stone for you!! Play around and find the best color for under your eyes and your skin tone. I use a “honey” named color. The darker ones seem to work better to hide dark eye circles and I am very fair skin but that’s what works for me. I have used this product for many, many years and nothing else has worked to hide my eye circles although they aren’t worst I’ve seen. This is an awesome much-needed product of mine-that I cannot live without on a daily basis.
The listed information on this product:
- With goji berry and haloxyl
- Instantly erases the appearance of dark circles and fine lines
- Visibly diminishes the appearance of puffiness
Instantly creates a radiant, refreshed looking eye area. Super concentrated formula with goji berry and haloxyl helps to erase the appearance of dark circles and fine lines, while visibly diminishing the appearance of puffiness around the eyes.
5. The best eyeliner I have found is Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner. I have gone through many types of eyeliners. Most of them have smudged under my eyes making me look like a raccoon. I was allergic to a lot of them, as well. None of them stayed on at all and I was not happy with any of them. I then stumbled upon this eyeliner many years ago and have never strayed from it since. They do have a liquid version of it as well and that does work too if you like liquid but I use this in the pencil form. This does not smudge, I am not allergic to it and it lasts most of the day. I may reapply it once during the day but the big plus is it stays where I put it. So, this is my product for eyeliners. This product comes in Brown, teal, black, gray, navy and more!! Great product-would recommend.
Just a FYI here- you can buy cheaper mascara products as they are all mostly made from the same things. The cheaper ones work just as well as the more expensive ones. Maybelline makes a great one which is cheaper as opposed to going real cheap with NYC or something like that. Your on your own with lipsticks. I do buy cheap here but do admit the more expensive stay-on ones work better. So, save your money on mascara and other make-up products and spend it on the lipstick. Lipsticks can make your world go round. One day my husband came home with a new colored lipstick for me. I had been wearing the same baby pink for years. Now I buy different colors all the time for him, as this something he seems to really like and notice about me. SO, for the ladies don’t shy away from your lipstick… take a chance on a new color and sport it for your man:) Also, just thought of one more thing…Palmolive-soaking your nails in it does work and was suggested in modeling school. You soak them for about five minutes or less and then you can push your cuticles back on your nails. Plus, it does make your hands very soft!! Okay, Enjoy your day folks!!
The Article By Chrissy Smith and Photos/Product Descriptions from Amazon.